Sunday, March 31, 2013

Mocha Chocolate Chip Pancakes

This may sound odd... But I kinda have a strong love of making pancakes for my sweet boyfriend. I just think of him, and pancakes, and I have to make them for him! Maybe it's because pancakes are such a warm comforting food. And they always make me happy when I eat them, so I want them to make him happy too? I don't know! I don't really feel this way about pancakes and anyone else... Lol. I also know that I cannot make them for him, or myself, TOO often. They aren't the healthiest food. I must resist! But they're definitely worth the splurge on occasion :) Our last splurge consisted of these mocha chocolate chip pancakes. They are SO good! I was weirded out by the idea of using ground coffee instead of instant coffee, but it worked great! The chocolate chips add the perfect touch to break up the coffee flavor and make them rich. These are easy to make, satisfying, and definitely a treat. Enjoy!

Mocha Chip Pancakes with Espresso Syrup
For the Espresso Syrup:
1 cup corn syrup
2 oz. (a double shot) hot espresso

For the Mocha Chip Pancakes:
1 cup flour
1/3 cup malted milk powder
3 Tb. ground coffee (not instant)
3/4 tsp. salt
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. baking soda
3/4 cup milk
1 egg
1 tsp. vanilla extract
3 Tb. melted butter
1/2 cup chocolate chips

Heat a griddle, or non-stick skillet, to medium-high.
In a large bowl, add all the dry ingredients and whisk to blend.
In a smaller bowl, whisk the milk, egg, and vanilla until frothy.
Add the milk mixture to the dry mix and whisk until smooth. Last whisk in the melted butter.
Allow the pancake batter to rest for 3-5 minutes before cooking, to thicken. It should be so thick that it barely pours.
Once the griddle is hot, stir in the chocolate chips.
Make one pancake as a test-batch to ensure your heat in accurate. Use a 1/4 cup scoop to ladle the batter onto the griddle. Spread into a circle. Cook for 1-3 minutes per side. Flip when small bubbles rise to the top of the batter. If the pancake turns dark too quickly, lower the heat.
Makes 8-10 pancakes.

Source: http://www.rachelcooks.com/2012/07/22/mocha-chip-pancakes-with-espresso-syrup/

No comments:

Post a Comment