Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Chocolate Chip Granola Bars

I love granola bars. I eat them quite often, almost daily! They're chewy and satisfying, and can even cure my sweet tooth cravings! I've eaten almost every granola bar out there. Chewy brand bars are great, but they're so tiny. I love Clif bars, but they can get quite expensive... Sometimes, all you need are some simple homemade granola bars. These turned out awesome. I used whole wheat flour in place of the white flour, though in the future I will only use half, as it has quite a distinct flavor. I can only imagine how much more delicious these will be next time! My dad went crazy for these, ate three within ~10 minutes! I don't blame him. They are sweet, but most of that sweetness comes from the wonderful bursts of chocolate from within. This recipe is SO EASY. And it bakes within 18 minutes! These also hold their shape, unlike some granola bars that crumble as you eat them. I will definitely make these again and again and again :) Enjoy!

Homemade Granola Bars
2 cups quick cooking oats
1 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
3/4 chocolate chips
1/2 cup wheat germ (I used flax meal. Great source of fiber!)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup honey
1 egg
2 teaspoons vanilla extract

Combine oats, flour, brown sugar, raisins,  salt, and cinnamon in a bowl, making sure to beat the brown sugar lumps into submission. Combine egg, oil, honey, and vanilla in a small bowl. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients, mix it all up, and dump it into a greased 9×13 inch pan. Using a greased spatula, or a wet spoon, spread it into an even layer.
 Bake at 350 for 15-18 minutes, or until lightly browned around the edges. Cool pan on a wire rack, and when it’s all cooled off, you can cut it into whatever size bars you like. 

Source: http://www.thefrugalgirl.com/2009/06/homemade-granola-bars/ 

No comments:

Post a Comment